Pixels automatically update with fixes and improvements regularly. A number of new apps as well as new functionality came knitted in the latest Pixel Feature Drop, for Pixel 4 and 4 XL majorly though some of the new perks are available to for older Pixel models.
Some of the new features that come along with the Feature Drop include:
- Portrait Blur in Google Photos – this feature blurs the background in your photo, turning any image shot by the Pixel into a portrait photo. It works on old images too.
- Background blurring is now an option in Duo video calls as well and it works on 2nd and 3rd generation Pixels. A feature unique to the Pixel 4 duo zooms in on your face during the call and tracks you as you move. If someone else walks into frame, the camera zooms out to fit them as well.
- Google has also enabled 90Hz refresh rate during Duo calls and is using machine learning to smooth out choppy audio caused by a bad connection.
- AI is also taking on robocalls – the Pixel 4 will screen unknown callers and will directly hang up on robocalls. This feature works offline and needs no Wi-Fi or a data connection.
The Feature Drop should improve the memory management for all Pixels. It may take a few weeks before the Feature Drop is available to all Pixel units but it is rolling out now. A few feature that will be coming to the older models include:
- Recorder app can be downloaded by older Pixels
- Pixel 3 and 3a get Live Caption
- Pixel 2 and 2 XL get Flip to Shh