In 2018, a close friends feature was added to Instagram, making it so much simpler to share a story to a limited number of people. When you create a close friends list, you’ll have the option to share your stories to just that group of people.
Threads, which is Instagram’s companion app is an app designed for sending messages to your close friends and has some really cool features that you may not be able to access through Instagram. If you have the threads app on your phone, messages from your close friends will appear there instead of Instagram.
To start, the steps to add close friends on Instagram are:
- Open the Instagram app for Android or iOS.
- Tap your avatar in the bottom right corner.
- After that, you can either click on your username at the top of your profile and tap “Close Friends” (for iOS) or click the menu button on the top right and tap “Close Friends” (for either iOS or Android).
- If you don’t yet have a close friends list, you’ll see a screen with a “Get Started” button. Tap it. That leads to a list of suggestions for people to start your list with, along with a link for information on how it works. When you’ve chosen your initial list, tap on “Create List.”
- When you’ve selected “Close Friends,” you’ll see your current close friends list. Tap Add on the top right. Search for the friend you want to add, and press the Add button next to their name.
Now we can look at the steps to add close friends on Threads:
- You can also add close friends in Instagram’s Threads app. To start, open Threads and make sure you’re logged into the correct account.
- Tap the Menu button in the top left corner of the home screen.
- Tap “Choose Close Friends” at the top of the list.
- You’ll see your current close friends list. When starting a new list, three or more friends in Threads must be selected. Use the search bar at the top to find the friend you want to add, and tap the empty circle next to their name.