With the rate at which new phones are released, people tend to change their devices from time to time. An average smartphone user changes his device at least one time a year. Some get new mobiles two to four times a year.
Also, some phone crashes and data get lost. What you think of at first whenever you are in these kind of situations are your contacts. Few people write their contacts down while many others try to look for contacts backup services.
With Google Contacts, you don’t need to go through the hassle of getting backup services again to have your contacts online. Google does all the work for you while you sit back. Contacts saved on the Google Account are automatically synced to the Google server and you can always access them online and get them to your new smartphones easily.
How to set up your Google Contacts
With an Android, it is much easy to set up your Google Contacts.
- Log in to your Google Account on your Android.
- Sync Contacts.
- Whenever you want to save new contacts, save them to your Google Account.
- In an event where you logged in more than one Google Accounts, save it to the one you use most so that it would be easy to see them online.
With an iPhone (iOS 7 and above), follow this steps:
- Open the Settings app on your device.Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Select Add Account.
- Select Google.
- Fill out your account information in the following fields:
- Name: Enter your name
- User Name:
- Enter your full Google Account or Google Apps email address
- Password: Your Google Account or Google Apps password. (If you’ve enabled 2 Step verification, you’ll need to generate and enter an application specific password.)
- Description: Enter a description of the account (e.g. Personal Contacts).
- Select Next at the top of your screen.
- Make sure that the “Contacts” option is turned ON.
- The switch should be green.
- Select Save at the top of your screen.
After you’ve completed setup, open theContacts app on your device, and syncing will automatically begin.
If you have set up iCloud, are syncing contacts from another account, or already have contacts stored on the device, you will need to select a Default Account.
Set your default account
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars and scroll down to the Contacts section.
- You will only see the Default Account option if you’re syncing more than one account.
- Select Default Account.
- Select your Google contacts account.
- Your account will be labeled with the description you gave it in the Description field.
Visit contacts.google.com to access your contacts online anytime.